Skip to main content

John D Fergusson


1909 - 1979

Summarised from Plarr's "Lives of the Fellows Online"

John Douglas Fergusson was born on 5 December 1909 at Great Malvern, Worcestershire, the son of John Newberry Fraser Fergusson, FRCS Ed, a radiologist at York County Hospital. He was educated at St Peter's School York, and St John's College Cambridge, where he was college prizeman and scholar. He went to St Thomas's Hospital London, where he was awarded an open university scholarship, the Sutton-Sams Prize in gynaecology and the Cheselden Medal in surgery.

After house appointments at St Thomas's Hospital he became FRCS in 1936 and Registrar to the surgical unit. In 1938, he was appointed to the surgical staff at the Central Middlesex Hospital where he remained until his retirement in 1974. He developed an interest in urology, starting a department at the Central Middlesex and, in 1950, he was appointed Consultant Surgeon to St Peter's and St Paul's Hospital where played a major role in uniting the staff of both establishments. He was appointed the first director of teaching and research when the Institute of Urology was founded in 1951, a post he retained until 1971.

A founder member of the British Association of Urological Surgeons, he was secretary from 1957 to 1960 and Honorary Editorial Secretary for three 3-year terms. He was President from 1970 to 1972 and received the St Peter's Medal in 1977. He was editor of the British Journal of Urology from 1966 to 1972 and, at the end of his term of office, was appointed Honorary Consulting Editor.

He died peacefully on 20 April 1979 after a short illness.

← Back to Presidents of BAUS