A two-day, hands-on operative cadaveric surgical course providing operative experience in the management of urological emergencies, aimed at ST6 / ST7 Urology SpRs.
- Review key urological anatomy on prosections;
- "Hands-on" cadaveric surgical procedures with supervision from experienced consultant mentors;
- High faculty to trainee ratio;
- Two trainees per cadaver to provide optimal surgical exposure; and
- Additional sessions on case studies and management of trauma cases.
Procedures covered on course (trainees may undertake simulated assessments on ISCP with lecture presentation of key points/steps in each procedure):
- Loin approach to kidney / retroperitoneum eg for drainage peri-renal abscess;
- Midline laparotomy, mobilisation of right and left colon, mobilise omentum on blood supply;
- Open retropubic space, open cystotomy, access for prostatic bleeding / pack prostatic cavity / packing of pelvis, open insertion of SPC;
- Approach to ureter, assessment and repair of injuries;
- End to end anastomotic repair;
- Ureteric reimplantation, including psoas hitch & Boari flap / bladder repair;
- Transuretero-ureterostomy (TUU);
- Emergency nephrectomy / exposure;
- Principles of splenectomy / control bleeding from liver - Pringle manouevre / packing;
- Scrotal exploration & repair of testicular rupture; and
- Penile emergencies.
- Penile block;
- Management of priapism / simple shunts;
- Exposure corpora / repair penile fracture; and
- Debridement of peno-scrotal tissues for Fournier’s gangrene.