Bladder Outflow Obstruction Audit
Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) data in England indicate that approximately 1000 BOO procedures are performed each week; the number of procedures performed in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales will, inevitably, be lower.
The aims of the bladder outflow obstruction (BOO) audit are:
- to collect data on baseline activity across the NHS for compliance with NICE and EAU guidelines; and
- to determine variations in assessment and treatment, including waiting times and indications for surgery.
Data for this audit will consist of details of all men undergoing intervention for BOO (including PAE) during November 2019, with actual data submission taking place in March 2020.
Further information about data items & submission is available here
(BAUS members only: password-protected login is required)
The main principles of the audit are:
- data collection will be retrospective, in March 2020, to allow entry of follow-up data where applicable;
- anonymised unit level data only will be collected;
- the data will be collected using JotForm, which is computer, tablet and smartphone-compatible;
- the dataset will contain a maximum of 36 questions covering pre-operative assessment, surgery and follow-up;
- national feedback, and customised feedback to individual units, will enable benchmarking and quality improvement; and
- initial data from the audit is likely to be presented at BAUS 2020 in Birmingham.
The process, platform and dataset have been piloted by members of the BAUS Audit Steering Group in their hospitals before the audit is rolled out to other urology units across the UK.
Clinical Audit Leads for Urology in each unit in the UK will oversee the audit locally, and will co-ordinate unit responses.
Click here to view the items in the BOO dataset.
Participation in this audit will provide Consultants with supporting documentation of involvement in QIP/Audit in their five-year revalidation cycle. Participating trainees will be able to demonstrate involvement in national audit at their Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP)