John Anderson was an inspirational man. This award was instigated by John’s family and seeks to recognize an individual who has contributed to urology in an outstanding or inspirational way.
Nominations can be for an outstanding Trainee, Consultant or Associate Urological Specialist (AUS) who is a BAUS Member in good standing.
For trainees, nominations should be submitted jointly by the relevant regional TPD together with the respective SAC Regional Representative: for Consultants & AUS, nominations should be submitted by two Full (Consultant) BAUS members in good standing. Nominations should be in the form of a citation of up to 500 words, clearly stating the category of application (see below) and the reasons the nominee should be considered for this prestigious award.
The three categories which will be considered by the Awards Panel when assessing nominations are:
- Category 1: a single event of critical importance to a patient or to the urological community as a whole,
- Category 2: an individual who has contributed to urology in an outstanding or inspirational way, or
- Category 3: consistent commitment to the highest quality patient care (something about which John was passionate),
as demonstrated by:
- dedication to training well in excess of normal expectations;
- outstanding feedback from trainers;
- evidence of consistent activity above & beyond the training programme to the benefit of patients or the speciality of urology; or
- demonstration of humanitarian or civic capabilities in addition to significant academic prowess.
For Consultants & Associate Urological Specialists
- evidence of instigating novel high-quality standards of care from the outset of a Consultant/AUS appointment;
- evidence of excellence in teaching and training of juniors, students and/or the lay public; or
- demonstration of excellence in terms of charitable fund-raising, humanitarian acts or civic achievement.
Given the criteria above, an award may not necessarily be made every year. The awards panel will include John's widow, Sarah (or her nominated representative). The Award is presented by the President at the BAUS Annual Scientific Meeting in June each year.
Nominations for this award are now closed.
Previous John Anderson Award winners
||Krishna Narahari (Cardiff)
||Ben Grey (Manchester)
||Ans Khan (Wishaw)
||Ben Eddy (Canterbury)