As of November 2016:
- there were 1048 Consultant Urological Surgeons in the UK and 37 in the Republic of Ireland;
- 92% of the substantive consultants in the UK are BAUS members; and
- 8.3% of all Consultant Urological Surgeons are female (87 females v 961 males).
Download the full 2016 BAUS Workforce Report
The Consultant distribution across Great Britain & Ireland (including 41 locums in England, 5 in Scotland, 4 in Wales, 4 in the Irish Republic & 1 in Northern Ireland) is shown in the graphic below:
Trainees & Associate Specialists
Up-to-date numbers in these posts have proved difficult to obtain with any degree of accuracy. However, we know that:
- there were 310 Specialist Registrars (i.e. urological surgeons in training) in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and 20 trainee members in the Republic of Ireland;
- 110 out of 310 (35%) of all trainees are female, reflecting the observation that more than 60% of medical students are also female; and
- in 2014, there were approximately 187 urologists in Associate Specialist or Staff Grade posts in the UK; about 100 of these urologists are BAUS members.
For further information about workforce matters, please e-mail Charlotte Taylor at the BAUS Offices. To view and download previous workforce reports, go to the Workforce section of MyBAUS (requires BAUS membership login)