As of September 2018:
- there were 1113 Consultant Urological Surgeons in the UK and 47 in the Republic of Ireland;
- 92% of the substantive consultants in the UK are BAUS members; and
- 9.8% of all Consultant Urological Surgeons are female (99 females v 1014 males).
Download the full 2018 BAUS Workforce Report
The Consultant distribution across Great Britain & Ireland (including 67 locums in England, 3 in Scotland, 6 in Wales, 4 in the Irish Republic & 1 in Northern Ireland) is shown in the graphic below:
Trainees & Associate Specialists
Up-to-date numbers in these posts have proved difficult to obtain with any degree of accuracy. However, we know that:
- there were 319 Specialist Registrars (i.e. urological surgeons in training) in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and 22 trainee members in the Republic of Ireland;
- 111 out of 319 (35%) of all trainees are female, reflecting the observation that more than 60% of medical students are also female; and
- in 2014, there were approximately 187 urologists in Associate Specialist or Staff Grade posts in the UK (these data have not been reviewed since 2014); about 77 of these urologists are BAUS members.
For further information about workforce matters, please e-mail Beverly Tomkins at the BAUS Offices. To view previous workforce reports, go to the Workforce section of MyBAUS (only available to BAUS members)