All Saints' Hospital London
Founded by Edward Canny Ryall
All Saints' Hospital was founded by Edward Canny Ryall in 1911, to improve operative techniques for the treatment of kidney and bladder disease. At the suggestion of his wife, it was named after All Saints' Church, Margaret Street, where they were married.
All Saints' Hospital opened on 4 December 1911 at 49 - 51 Vauxhall Bridge Road. Initially, the hospital provided only for outpatients.
However, in 1912, the Prime Minister, Arthur Balfour, decided an operation needed by his chauffeur must be performed at All Saints' Hospital. Accordingly, a bed was quickly installed in an unused upstairs room. The hospital outpatient sister acted as a day-nurse whilst, for a couple of nights, the Harley Street butler acted as a night nurse. The patient recovered.
By the end of 1912 All Saints' provided 10 beds and 1 cot for the treatment of inpatients.
During the First World War it became the All Saints' Hospital for Wounded Soldiers (part of Queen Alexandra's Military Hospital at Millbank), and had 22 beds for officers.
After the War, it was renamed the All-Saints' Hospital for Genito-Urinary Disease and, in 1920, a large house at 91 Finchley Road was purchased for inpatients. The Vauxhall Bridge Road building reverted, once more, to dealing with outpatients only.
In 1932, the Hospital moved to Austral Street, near Lambeth Road. It had become the largest urological hospital in the UK, with 52 beds.
It was temporarily closed during the Second World War but, in 1948, became one of the units of the Westminster Hospital Group and was renamed the Westminster Hospital Urological Centre.
The Hospital finally closed in 1986.
← Back to Hospitals and Institutions Room