Single sheath; multiple instruments
In 1899, F Tilden Brown of Baltimore, used two different lens systems to visualise the bladder; they could be swapped over using the same sheath to prevent re-instrumentation of the urethra.
Leo Buerger expanded on Brown's idea of passing different instruments down the same outer sheath and the Brown-Buerger cystoscope, introduced in 1907, became a standard instrument for years.
The boxed set on display shows the electric power cable and some "bugbee" electrodes in the lid. The metal "American Cystoscope Makers" label is a sliding lid over a compartment which spare bulbs etc.
Read the Instruction Manual
← Back to Cystoscopes