The AAGUS Mallet (or Gavel)
A gift from the AAGS
Since the formation of BAUS in 1945, a variety of objects has been presented to the Association. These objects are rarely used and, because of space constraints and security issues, they are not usually on display in the BAUS London offices. We have, therefore, displayed them in the Museum so that the kind gifts of individuals and organisations can be viewed by everyone.
This mallet or gavel was presented to BAUS by Clifford Morson at the 3rd BAUS Annual meeting in Glasgow on 13 June 1947. The mallet had originally been presented by the American Association of Genitourinary Surgeons to the British Clinical Society of Urology (BCSU).
It is not dated but appears to be from the late 19th or early 20th century.
There was an early society of British Urologists active in London before the establishment of the Urology Section of the RSM in 1920. Little is known about this but it could be one and the same as the BCSU.
The mallet is made from a dark stained wood and has a silver presentation ring around the head.
The dedication reads: "To The British Clinical Society of Urology from The Clinical Society of Genito-Urinary Surgeons of America".
← Back to BAUS Paraphernalia