The 1956 BAUS Annual Scientific Meeting took place from 28 to 30 June 1956 at the Victoria Building (pictured upper right), Liverpool University, Brownlow HIll, Liverpool.
Click here to download the programme for the 1956 meeting, published in the British Journal of Urology.
The main meeting took place in the Arts Theatre of the Victoria Building. On 28 June, clinical demonstrations and operating sessions in Liverpool Royal Infirmary, Royal Southern Hospital, Sefton General Hospital, Broadgreen Hospital and Walton Hospital were opened to delegates.
Delegates were also able to visit Wrightington Sanatorium and the Regional Paraplegic Centre at Southport in addition to the hospitals listed above.
Two dinners were held (on the first two evenings), both at the Adelphi Hotel, Liverpool.
The Victoria Building
The original Victoria Building, designed by Alfred Waterhouse, was completed in 1892. It was the first purpose-built building for what was to become the University of Liverpool, with accommodation for administration, teaching, common rooms and a library.
The building, as can be seen in the image above, was the inspiration for the term "red brick university", coined by Edgar Allison Peers, Professor of Spanish at Liverpool University. This description was subsequently applied to a handful of civic universities founded in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries (LIverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield & Bristol). The first red brick university building to be constructed was, however, Chancellor's Court at Birmingham University.
In 2008, the Victoria building was converted into the Victoria Gallery & Museum (pictured lower right), to coincide with Liverpool's tenure as European Capital of Culture.
← Back to Annual Scientific Meetings