1909 International Medical Congress Medal
16th Congress, held in Budapest
The 16th International Medical Congress meeting was held in Budapest from 29 August to 2 September 1909.
Over 5,000 delegates attended, and it was opened by His Royal and Imperial Highness the Archduke Joseph.
Each congress member was given one of these bronze medallions, designed by the sculptor György Vastagh, as well as a scholarly medical guide to Budapest, a ticket for free use of the local baths and two small bottles of Tokaj wine, as a gift from the Hungarian Ministry of Agriculture. The medal shows Aesculapius, Greek god of medicine, and, on the reverse, a view of Budapest.
The International Medical Congress series started in Paris in 1867, and continued until 1913 in London.
← Back to Medal Cabinet